Thursday, March 22, 2012

A "Shaving Cream" Cat

This card is so clean and simple but it was SO FUN to make.

As most of you know, I am a stamper and love techniques. I am not big on collage or a lot of cutting but I really love creating background papers and trying out new techniques.

So when making this card for my weekly Dreamweaver Challenge I was trying to think of some of my favorite stamping techniques that could be incorporated into my stenciling. Then it hit me:

SHAVING CREAM MARBLING!

And so here is my first attempt at the "shaving cream" technique ala Dreamweaver paste. Since it is the first full day of Spring, I went with Spring colors. The marbling doesn't photograph too well but it is really fun in person. I kept the card really very basic and simple because the marbling is so subtle that I didn't want to distract from it. What else would you have done with this image? Here is version 1, very CAS:

Dreamweaver LL3020 Sitting Cat and LG741 Cat Phrases,
White Glossy Paste and Black Matte Paste
And version 2 which just adds a strip from a sheet of Basic Grey Nook & Pantry Cookbook printed paper:


The "shaving cream" technique is very easy. I placed a "glob" (yes, thats the technical term) of white glossy paste on my non-stick craft sheet and then added drops of pigment reinkers. Without swirling it to much, I picked up the paste and spread it over my stencil. The cool part about this is technique is that because I used the Power Pasting technique, I was able to create 6 shaving cream cats before I ran out of paste.

Clean, simple, yes. Really fun to do, YES!

Now head on over to the other Dreamweaver Design Team blogs (links on the right) for more inspiration

Remember, you only have until March 31 to get your own CAS creation either linked and posted or emailed to Lynell. What are YOU waiting for?

Until tomorrow when I face another challenge!

Cherylynn

8 comments:

Lynell Harlow / Dreamweaver Stencils said...

What a darling card and I love the sentiment you added too. Did you send all those cards out to someone? Wowee, Cherylynn you are clever.

Wendy said...

What a fun idea!!! I wanna try!! This is a fun and easy technique to use in a "simple" technique class!! Take care Cherylynn!!

Kristi Parker Van Doren said...

very cool

Pam Hornschu said...

Very cool. I did shaving cream marbling at Christmas, but "pasted" with the shaving cream. It didn't occur to me to do the marbling in the actual paste.

Anonymous said...

Ooh, I like the second version

Louise said...

Both of these are adorable, love your marbling!

sommrstamping said...

I love this technique you used Cherylynn, it's perfect for the cats. I love both of the cards. Awesome.

Laura Drahozal said...

Oh, what a great idea! Thanks! (Why is is called shaving cream?)